Clear all

Otto only running straight forward

8 Posts
4 Users
4 Reactions
 Phil
(@fulo)
Topic starter  

I just "built" the Otto robot with my daughter.

After switching the robot on, it instantly drives forward endlessly, until an obstacle occurs, then changes direction and runs straight forward again.

It never stops. When I saw this robot on an exhibition, two days ago, it showed a completely different behavior.

I tried to find out how to calibrate the robot, but the manuals are very unsatisfying. I double checked all the cables, the connections are made correct.

Maybe someone can help me to properly set up the device?

Thanks a lot! :)

Camilo reacted
 Phil
(@fulo)
Topic starter  

I just figured out that I have to use the original USB-C to USB-A Cable. Any other USB-C to USB-C cable doesn't work. Neither for charging, nor for connecting it to to my Mac. After using the "original" cable, I was able to connect via Chrome. (Arc or Brave as Chromium Browsers don't work, either).

So now I was able to overwrite the "straight forward" code. I wish, the initial setup was something different than the "running forward". I would suggest something like a "welcome-move" sthat stops after some seconds.

Additionally: The blue rubber plate, that one has to glue on the circuit board was too large, as there were several pins in the marked area. I had to cut off som parts of the mat. Is this intended?

I'll start conding now. But for an average user this entry was kind of annoying and frustrating.

Camilo reacted
ReplyQuote
 Phil
(@fulo)
Topic starter  

After the connection worked, I loaded the Starter Demo code, I tested it while Otto was connected via USB. This worked fine.

I saved the files to to, disconnected him and it worked fine.

I reconnected the robot via USB and now it doesn't do anything at all. When I press the play button, it shows absolutely no reaction.

I reloaded the Starter Demo. Nothing happens.

Here is a short video:  https://xchange.taptapklick.de/index.php/s/B9D9ZTYdY2wrS5W

ReplyQuote
 Phil
(@fulo)
Topic starter  

By the way: Firmware Update didn't solve the problem.

ReplyQuote
Ivan Artiles
(@ivanr3d)
Member Moderator Subscriber

Hallo Phil, 

I am surprised that you had such an experience with HP Otto, it has been very straightforward for me. Let's try to help you! 

If you notice in the webcode ( https://hprobots.com/otto-code/webcode/webcode.html) in the bottom-right side there is a button that say "Monitor". You can open it and try to upload a code again to identify if there is any issue/error being trigged, that could help us to identify what's going on with your robot. 

Also, I noticed you already mentioned it is not a firmware thing but I would suggest to:

1. Update the firmware

2. Update libraries 

3. Try again watching the monitor output 

Camilo reacted
ReplyQuote
Camilo
(@cparrapa)
Developer Admin

Hi @fulo

Good to see you here, thanks for purchase. I will try to summarise all your feedback:

1. Factory code will be updated to remote control or Bluetooth programming Otto will just wait for wireless connection (No running around)

2. Calibration of motors you meant? What was unsatisfying in the manuals?

3. In the coding guide we will add a warning that the include cable must be used. Maybe your c to c has not data?

4. Chrome browser as in the guide is required for Mac.

5.The blue foam is intended to go over the connections so that the battery doesn't touch them.

6. Please check the monitor to see if there is an error when you try to play code. 

Let me know if I missed anything.

Happy coding!

ReplyQuote
AgentKnopf
(@agentknopf)

Thanks everyone for the support here. I just wanted to add that i had the same experience: Out of the box Otto just keeps driving forward - not ideal for a starter setup :) . I also was a little confused by the oversized foam - but i figured eventually that it's meant to go over the pins - it would be really good to put a small note in the manual that this is intentional.

Camilo reacted
ReplyQuote
Camilo
(@cparrapa)
Developer Admin

@agentknopf we are working in a small tutorial that explains how to use the calibration block, note taken for the sticker foam size.

ReplyQuote
Scroll to Top
Thank you for your interest in our robot Otto.
Let us inform you that the Otto Starter Kit will be ready for purchase at the end of January 2024.

If you would like to pre-order Otto Starter kit, feel free to contact us at email address moravia@moravia-consulting.com.
This will be available with the release of this product.